Friday, January 13, 2012

Learning to be Thankful

For Christmas my mother gave me this book called "One Thousand Gifts." It's an amazing personal story about a woman trying to better her life by being more thankful. She takes an amazing approach to looking at life after the many tragedies in her life. She realized that throughout the bible God talks about having a full life through being thankful. Not just being thankful for "everything" but for naming the specific and small things that you are thankful for. The book goes through her struggle of creating a habit of this so that her life would truly be full. I've been slowly working this into my life. Finding things when I'm walking to work, sitting in my living room or falling asleep at night I try and make lists of the things I'm thankful for.





 

1. I'm thankful for the creative heart that God gave me. That my love for art and for painting keeps me going each day
2. I'm thankful for new and best of friends. For people who make you realize why you love what you do and for loving you for nothing other than you. (and taking care of you as well!)
3. I'm thankful for the rising and setting sun and the streaks of color that paint the sky. I'm also thankful for the beauty of the ocean that calms my soul and makes me feel at home!
4. I'm thankful for the color that God has put into this world and beauty of flowers that litter the fields, side streets and gardens.
5. I'm thankful for cuddling up on the couch with hot cocoa during a snow storm and watching the snow fall so peacefully to the ground.
6. I'm thankful for the seeds of dandelions that dance through the air after a wish has been placed on them

It's amazing how your day changes when you start to focus on the small wonders of your day instead of the small pains of your day. Give it a try, what are you thankful for?

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment