Thursday, July 21, 2011

Activate the Activist

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted. Starting summer classes and a new job keeps you busier than you would imagine! I haven't had a chance to announce the biggest news I've had in a LONG time. . . maybe ever!

A few months ago I applied for a camp called The Fourth Estate. It's through Invisible Children and is four days of being trained to be leaders in Activism. Throughout the weekend we will be provided speakers from all over the world who will lead us into becoming the next leaders of ending poverty.



I applied to this camp thinking that I had a 0% chance of getting into the camp but I thought "what the heck, what's the worst that could happen?" Turns out God had bigger plans for me than even I had. A couple weeks ago I got a call from a sweet girl who worked for Invisible Children and told me that I was  1 of 650 people chosen to go to camp in San Diego.

So Now I'm going to the Fourth Estate!


We are divided into different groups based on our passions and our goals for ending poverty. Originally I thought I wanted to be in the Art group. However, when I was told that I'm in development group I realized that God had done it again and put me in the perfect place.

I've wanted to go to Africa to work with women in developing countries and even looked into changing my major to women and development, so needless to say, I'm pretty excited about all that is in store for me in California!

And since I love California so much I'm extending the trip and traveling up the coast. After the camp i'm going to Warped Tour in San Diego. Then heading up to LA to see the Tom Shoes warehouse and visit the Getty Art Museum. (One of my favorite museums, the impressionists collection they have is wonderful and the gardens are spectacular. I highly recommend seeing it for yourself.) Finally I'm going to Santa Barbara to see some friends and family.

I've been in need for a vacation and this is the perfect one! I'm entitling this trip "The Trip of Dreams"
Activism, Art, Warped Tour, amazing scenery (My camera is defiantly coming with me!) and great people to spend time with.

August hurry up and get here!
XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment